Thursday, August 18, 2011

BEDA Day 18: Why Mockingjay is so important to me

It was nearing the end of August, and all I was thinking about was going back to school. On August 24, I had to give tours of my school. I was anxious that day, because a book that I had been waiting for for months, Mockingjay, was being released. Throughout the tours I was jumpy, too excited for the book to handle doing anything else. I got blisters from all the walking, and nearly lost my voice from all the talking. When I got home, the book was waiting for me, light blue and shiny. Although desperately tired, I stayed up a few hours so I could read. I had to sleep eventually, though. And when I woke up, I was brought to my other house. Like any other day, I locked myself up in my room, but unusually, my computer was turned off. I only wanted to read, and I didn’t want to risk seeing any spoilers.

After a few hours, I decided to take a small break from reading just to check what was going on in the world. I immediately saw outpourings of sadness, and it only took me a few seconds to find out why. Our blessed star had become a supernova. I nearly shut my laptop, unable to handle what I was reading. The star, our star, couldn’t possibly be gone. Wasn’t it only a few days ago that she was surrounded by all of her friends, reminding the world to tell their friends and families that they love them? Didn’t we just win all of that money, with her, to make a difference in the world? She just made a video, giving us a tour of her house and then telling us she loved us at the end, didn’t she? But now she was gone, our star was never coming back. Esther had finally succumbed to cancer, dying at only sixteen.

I pulled myself away from everything. I didn’t want to hear or see anything. I closed Mockingjay, pushed it away from me. I cried. For a half an hour straight, maybe longer. Then I went back to reading. I wished that the book had been more cheerful. There was a war going on, and characters that I had loved dearly were dying left and right. Everything seemed more sad than before, each death more meaningful. I finished the book that same day.

Maybe Esther made the book better to me. But I get very defensive when anyone says that Mockingjay is a bad book.

No comments:

Post a Comment