Wednesday, August 3, 2011

BEDA Day 3: ZOMBICORNS.

I'm listening to Florence + The Machine and there's a thunderstorm outside and yeah sounds are fun.

Anyways. It's the third day of August, also known as Esther Day. I just want to warn all of you that I'll be an emotional wreck on August 25. Just a warning.

But today is a very positive day. Everyone's supposed to tell their friends and family that they love them. I'm such an awkward person, so like... I didn't, really. Every day, I want to tell certain online friends that I love them... So you would think this would be a perfect day... But no.*

Oh hey Tumblr just distracted me for a half an hour.

My writing class is really, really lovely. We're only three days into it, but I'm already so glad that I joined. I didn't work on that opinion piece from yesterday at all today. But I wrote about a season for my starter activity. Actually, I'll post that:

Every time a new school year begins, I am asked to describe myself. It’s become a tedious thing over the years, especially since the questions don’t make much sense. Most often, I’m asked to compare myself to a form of weather or a season. I’ve never liked the weather analogy, because it makes you sound depressive if you don’t describe yourself as a “bright, sunny day.” The season thing doesn’t make much sense either, because it implies that everyone can be sorted into four different personalities, which just isn’t true.

I almost always end up going with my favorite weather or season. I say that I’m a thunderstorm, which gives a bad impression, as if I will lash out in anger or are in any way loud. I’ll go with autumn, but that makes it seem like I’m a colorful person or something. Which I’m not.

Autumn isn’t exactly my favorite season. I have two, distinct periods of time that I love. The first is when autumn slowly evolves into winter, and the second is the time in approximately late January to early February, when for most, it seems that winter has gone on for too long. There’s something about the lifelessness that I like. When the only thing moving outside is the wind, desperately trying to penetrate the insulation of the buildings. When the only precipitation is rain that comes down to create heavy floods, or ice so strong that it breaks windows.

They’re the times when the earth tries to get back at us. It yells, telling us that we shouldn’t be here, shouldn’t be doing this. It yells at the other animals, too, but they go into hiding. Our chauvinistic species is still too proud, too stupid to stand down. So we sit in our too large houses, trying to create heat that will slip out and be crushed by the cold anyway. I like these times, because they illustrate our desperation, more so than any other time I’ve seen.

I could never say all of this on the first day of school, though. Instead, I just say that I prefer cold weather, which is true, and am sensitive to the heat, which is also true. But it’s so much more than that.


We always have a break half way through the class, when my friend Lexie and I head down to the cafeteria and eat Skittles and are amused by the college kids watching cartoons. I brought a book today, Zombicorns by John Green, actually. I've always wanted to continue writing from the end of Zombicorns. I feel like it's just begging for it. I was talking about it with Lexie as we were walking down to the cafeteria today. Our teacher was walking behind us, and he gave me some ideas on how to continue the story...

So I started making an outline for my continuation. Mainly some loose character descriptions, and a collection of names that I want to use. I also have some topics to research: forms of high-functioning autism,** the landscape of southern Manitoba,*** and corn.****

I'll probably start writing it tomorrow. I'm excited, because the story that John started is so interesting. Now I'll post the picture of me holding the book, because I like it and it is sort of relevant.




(I was going to talk about this song in my piece about autumn/winter, but then I didn't. So.)

-Jess

*I did, like, fall asleep this afternoon though. So some - most - of these internet friends that I love are from different time zones, and by the time I woke up they were all asleep. Hopefully. I don't know. Some of them stay up really late.
**Thanks to my teacher. It sounds strange now, but honestly, it's brilliant.
***Which will probably be where it takes place. Maybe.
****If you've read Zombicorns, this is not surprising.

No comments:

Post a Comment